So September came and went. It was a fun month. You’re looking at your WordPress reader or email, happy reading Brooklyn Locavore blog posts, then you stop. “Wait, where’s the September Foodie Penpal Reveal?!?!” You panic and scroll back and forth through the posts, but nope it’s not there.
Don’t worry. You didn’t miss anything. Lindsay at The Lean Green Bean had us switch it up a bit and post on Monday. So since you’ve been so anxiously waiting, I won’t keep you any further…
This month my foodie penpal was Jenna over at Life’s Been Good to Me So Far... Jenna is originally from Brooklyn, right around my neighborhood! AND when I received her package and learned she was from Baltimore, I was immediately taken back to the many adventures I’ve spent there over the years with my good friend who lives there. Such a small world. We bonded over Baltimore Martinis. Just. Don’t. Ask.
Jenna did so very very well. My favorite month so far. First was a yummy selection of her local favorites. Utz Crab Chips–barely made it out of the box. Old Bay which reminded me again about the martinis…um, never mind.
And Fisherman’s cheddar popcorn from Maryland. PLUS, I don’t specifically remember telling Jenna about my love for sweet and salty, but she must have read my mind. Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt, spiced sweet potato sticks–so yummy! And these magical little French Toast twists. They’re actually kind of healthy for you. Um, unless you eat the whole bag in one sitting–which I highly considered but wanted to save them. But seriously, no butter, dairy, egg, yet they still taste sooooo good! I NEED to find these things.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU JENNA! I don’t think I could have hoped for anything more. Check out what I sent Leah over at MacKenzie Memories. And as always, thank you Lindsay for organizing.
And now its time for some details about Foodie Penpals. In case you’re a new reader, here’s a reminder of what the program is all about:
- On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
- You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
- The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
- You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
- Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
- Foodie Penpals is open to US & Canadian residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa.
If you’re interested in participating for October, please CLICK HERE to fill out the participation form and read the terms and conditions. You must submit your information by October 4th as pairings will be emailed on October 5th!
- August Foodie Penpal Reveal! (brooklynlocavore.wordpress.com)
- July Foodie Penpals! (brooklynlocavore.wordpress.com)